The new default theme of Windows 10 is mirror-like which anyone can easily see. But, apart from it, there’s a black theme too, which generally remains invisible to the user.
According to Microsoft, the experts are working on it and soon there will be an app in the ‘Settings’ section so that it can be easily toggled. For now, we have shared with you some tips regarding how to activate the dark themes of Windows 10. Let’s start reading.
You can open the Windows Store and press CTRL + T together. By doing it, you can shift the app from a light to a dark theme. To restore the brighter look of the app, press the same keys together.
To enable the system-wide dark Windows 10 Themes, you have to edit the registry. It involves some easy steps which are as follows:
- To do the work manually, you have to open the registry editor. In the Search bar of the Start menu, type Regedit. Click on ‘Yes’ to confirm the permission to shoot the request.
In the previous Windows 10 versions, this value was known as ‘SystemUsesLightTheme’, however, the name was changed to ‘Apps UseLight Theme’ in the ultimate version of Windows 10.
- After that, create a DWORD value with the name ‘AppsUseLightTheme’ using the value ‘0’ under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/THEMES/PERSONALIZE. If you do not get the end sub folder Personalize, then create a new key under the name Personalize. To create it, just right click on the ‘Themes’ icon. Select New >Key. After that, name it as Personalize.
- The next step is to right click on the new key Personalize you have just created. Then, select New > DWORD (32-bit) value.
- Name the DWORD value ‘AppsUseLightTheme’ using the value ‘0’ under
- Now, click on the Exit icon to come out from the Registry Editor. To log out from Windows 10, select the menu ‘Start’. Then, tap on the photo of your user profile and select ‘Sign out’.
To see the change, sign out and then sign in again.
To get back the original theme colors, simply change both the DWORD value keys ‘AppsUseLightTheme’ you have created from 0-1 or you can delete them.
The dark themes of Windows 10 seem like an ongoing work. However, you should keep in mind that you can make the changes only to specific parts of Windows 10. Unluckily, the applications such as File Explorer and Mail cannot be moved to the dark side. Having said, already enough changes have been made to some apps to give the OS that dark brilliant feel.
The dark theme of Insider Preview build 10074 on Windows 10 are really has a nice secret. Undoubtedly, a lot of work is still left out which have to be done very soon. If you hate staring at a bright screen, then you must have welcomed the dark theme. Give your eyes a break with the dark theme mode of Windows 10.
Enjoy the new look.